Non-Degree Program

Our Non-Degree Program offers students the opportunity to explore the field of social work and potentially apply credits toward our Master of Social Work degree program.

The Non-Degree Program allows students to register for graduate social work courses as a non-matriculated student. The program is ideal for:

  • Enrolling in courses to lighten your course load before applying to the MSW program
  • Helping to make a career decision about social work
  • Identifying career development courses for human service professionals

Our program meets students where they are by offering a variety of morning, afternoon, evening and special schedule classes to help accommodate personal and professional time commitments.

Enrollment Information

  • Individuals must have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
  • Students may take courses during the Fall, Spring, Summer, and Winter Intersession.
  • A maximum of six (6) credits may be taken each semester, except during winter intersession, not to exceed a total of 15 credits.
  • Registration is on a space-available basis.
  • 3-credit courses meet weekly for 2.5 hours for the entire 14-week semester or by special schedule.
  • Non-Degree status does not constitute, guarantee, or imply admission or readmission into any program at UConn.

Transfer of Non-Degree Credits to MSW Program

  • All grades earned of B- or higher will be transferred to the student’s graduate record in their last semester.
  • A maximum of 12 credits can be transferred to your graduate record, no exceptions made.
  • Credits for courses are only valid for six years from the intended date of graduation. Students should plan accordingly taking the six-year limit into consideration.

Non-Degree Program Academic Policy

To continue studying at the UConn School of Social Work, a non-degree student must maintain a “B” average in courses taken at the School. If, after attempted six credits, or having been enrolled in two consecutive semesters, the student has not maintained a “B” average or better (i.e., a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better) permission to continue as a non-degree student at the School of Social Work will be suspended.

View Course Schedule and Search for Classes

Visit the Calendars and Schedules website to view class schedules. Non-Degree courses are indicated with a "ND" in the ND column of the schedule.

Course descriptions can be found within our Course Directory. If you need help selecting courses, please contact the Office of Student and Academic Services at

Apply and Register

To apply and register for Non-Degree coursework click here.

For further information please consider attending an information session or email