The School of Social Work announces a call for proposals for the Dissertation Research Fellowship. The fellowship is intended to foster a research-oriented academic culture within the PhD program. The proposal process encourages doctoral students to model and meet the requirements for succeeding in competition for funds by defining a problem, a research project, and a timeline to complete the dissertation.
One to two awards of $5,000 may be made during the 2021-22 academic year. Doctoral students are eligible for the fellowship following the successful defense of their dissertation proposal. Students may receive this award once during their tenure in the PhD program and are encouraged to use the award as support for activities related to dissertation research, including data collection and travel.
The dissertation research is expected to make a significant contribution to the scholarly, policy and/or practice literature in the social work profession. A sub-committee of the Doctoral Committee will select award recipients. The fellowship will be awarded based on review of the following materials submitted by applicants:
- A current Curriculum Vita.
- A proposal of up to 1,500 words that contains the following:
- Overview: Summarize your planned dissertation research, including the social problem/issue being addressed, proposed research methodology, and planned theoretical orientation (approximately 1,000 words);
- Impact: Identify the relevance of your research and the expected contribution your dissertation will make to the existing literature and the social work profession (approximately 250 words);
- Outcomes: Identify planned/potential outlets for dissemination of your dissertation research (approximately 250 words).
- Budget and Justification: Identify how the award will support your dissertation research. In particular, specify what this award will allow you to accomplish within your overall research design (no more than one page).
- Timeline: Provide a timeline for the completion of your dissertation (no more than one page).
Students may only receive one of the following awards in a given academic year: The Dissertation Research Fellowship, Dissertation Writing Fellowship, Vivian Michaelson Fellowship, and the Research Facilitation Fund.
Deadline for applications is 5:00 pm on Monday, May 2, 2022.