Qur-an Webb, MSW and colleagues from Welcome2Reality
Wed, Oct 20, 2021
2 pm – 4 pm
$40 – UConn SSW Alumni and Current Field Instructors
$50 – All Others
This webinar was created to provide a base level understanding of mental health challenges and disorders from stigma to trauma to treatment and more. The training will be delivered in an interactive format by including activities, promoting discussion and creating a safe space for to engage in critical conversations around mental health and what we can do to promote better mental health wellbeing and functioning.
We will discuss the factors that puts someone at risk or protects them from developing a mental illness, including the influence of trauma. We will examine the effect of stigma on the perception of mental illness on the individual and societal levels, including how this is often internalized. We will explore some of the most common mental health disorders and then bridge into discussing treatment methods, how to identify signs versus symptoms, barriers to treatment and ways in which we can work to eliminate stigma, promote treatment engagement and emphasize the importance of self-care.
- Understand the prevalence of mental health challenges and disorders
- Explore risk and protective factors for developing a mental illness
- Discuss the impact of trauma and the physiological manifestation of signs and symptoms as they influence mental health
- Discuss the impact that stigma has on the perception of mental illnesses on the societal, communal and personal level
- Learn some tips for eliminating stigma, engaging in treatment and the importance of self-care